The United Nations Organization and the International Development Cooperation
The United Nations Organization in partnership with the Government of the State of Rio de Janeiro will organize seminar “The United Nations and the International Development Cooperation”, on June 16th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Government of Rio de Janeiro Pavilion (Athletes Park). The seminar will include Aula Magna on Sustainability as well as six high-level panels aligned with the Dialogues on Sustainable Development , held in ambit of the Rio+20 Conference. The seminar aims to share perceptions and identify challenges on the sustainable development’s agenda. The event will also aim to reinforce the UN System’s commitment to advance partnerships on following subjects: Sustainable Development and Poverty Eradication, Unemployment and Decent Work, Communication, Technology and Innovation, Humanitarian Response and Risk Prevention and Sustainable Cities.
The event will be open to the public. To register participation and obtain additional information, please go to www.rio20.rj.gov.br
10:30 Opening International Development Cooperation
Mr. Pedro Spadale - Undersecretary for International Cooperation
Mr. Jorge Chediek, UN Resident Coordinator in Brazil.
11:00 Aula Magna Sustainability
Panelist: Mrs. Amina Mohamed, Deputy Executive Director, UNEP.
11:30 Panel 1 Sustainable Development and Poverty Eradication
Moderator: Mr. Eduardo Gutierrez, Senior Advisor for Rio+20 Conference, UNDP
1. Mrs. Gretchen Kalonji, Assistant Director-General for Natural Sciences, UNESCO.
2. Mr. Gary Stahl, Representative in Brazil, UNICEF.
3. Mrs. Veerle Vandeweerd, Director Environment and Energy Group, UNDP
4. Mrs. Lakshmi Puri, Deputy Executive Director, UNWOMEN.
5. Mr. Antonio Claret, Social Assistance and Human Rights Secretary of Rio de Janeiro Government.
13:30 Panel 2
The Urban Future
Moderator: Mr. Vicente Loureiro, Deputy Secretary of Urban Planning of Rio de Janeiro Government.
1. Mr. Joan Clos, Executive Director, UN-HABITAT.
2. Mr. Raf Tuts, Urban Planning Coordinator, UN-HABITAT.
3. Mr. Alain Grimard, Director, UN-HABITAT- LAC.
4. Mr. Andrew Rudd, UN-HABITAT.
5. Mrs. Pilar Alvarez-Laso, Assistant Director-General for Social and Human Sciences, UNESCO.
14:30 Panel 3 Communication, Technology and
Innovation for Sustainable Development
Moderator: Mr. Luiz da Costa Leite, Deputy Secretary for Science and Tecnology,
Government of Rio de Janeiro.
1. Mr. Gary Fowlie, Head of NY Liaison Office, ITU.
2. Mrs. Gretchen Kalonji, Assistant Director-General for Natural Sciences, UNESCO.
3. Mr. Walter Staveloz, International Relations Director, ASTC.
4. Mr. Joe Bradley, Head of Intergovernmental Organizations and Partnerships Section, WIPO.
5. Mr. Fabio Leite, Deputy Director Radio Communication, ITU.
15:30 Painel 4 Unemployment and Decent Work
Moderator: Mrs. Laís Abramo, Director, ILO-Brazil.
1. Mr. Marcelo Aguiar dos Santos Sá, Employment Ministry Representative.
2. Mrs. Rosane da Silva, National Secretariat of the Working Women (CUT).
3. Mr. Ivo Dall ‘Acqua Júnior, State of São Paulo Trade Federation Representative.
4. Mrs. Andrea Sepúlveda, Social Assistance and Human Rights State Secretary of Rio de Janeiro.
16:30 Panel 5 Humanitarian Response and Risk prevention.
Moderator: Mr. Douglas Reimer, Regional Disaster Response Advisor, OCHA-ROLAC.
1. Mr. Carlo Scaramella, Coordinator for Climate Change, Environment and Disaster Risk Reduction, WFP.
2. Mrs. Renata Pereira, General Director, CARE Brasil.
3. Mr. Sérgio Simões, Civil Defense Secretary of Rio de Janeiro Government.
4. Mr. Cosmas Zavazava, Head of Project Support and Knowledge Management Department, UIT